Monday, February 5, 2007

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water Project

I wanted to talk a little about how my Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water project went. Overall I think it turned ut all right. Of course I haven't seen it go through the projector yet so that is all subject to change. I want to start by talking about my Wind or Air strip first. What I was kind of going for is a shot where as the film gets pulled down through the projector it would give the viewer the feel of falling from space, through the Earth's atmosphere, and then kind of floating in the sky and clouds. To do this I blacked out about a third of the film strip and then scratched small holes into it that I hope will resemble stars. I then set aside a piece of the film that I used a couple shades of blue on to signify entering the atmoshere, and then I used a couple of different shades of blue to represent the visable sky. I then scratched some different shapes into this blue to set up my clouds. I tried to think what would make for some decent looking clouds. In the end I settled on using white-out. I have no idea how this will project on screen, but looking at it on the film strip, it looked pretty interesting. For my fire strip I blacked out the entire strip and then scratched out a fire growing from a small spark into a complete blaze. Eventually i tried to give an effect of the strip burning up and then smoldering out. Looking back I wish I would have done this strip a bit differently. I wish that I would have only blacked out part of the strip and then used yellow, orange and red colors only on the rest. I think that would have possibly signifyed a raging fire a bit better. All in all though I think it will turn out ok, but as I've said, I guess i need to wait to see what it looks like on the big screen.

No comments: